Opponent Preview: What to know about Georgia Tech

Courtesy of the ACC

Syracuse has won five of its last six games.

Syracuse began a stretch of five games in 10 days on Saturday with a win over Boston College at home. On Monday, the Orange welcome Georgia Tech for their second game in three days. 

Last year’s Atlantic Coast Conference champions, the Yellow Jackets have struggled this season, as they sit near the bottom of the ACC standings, five spots below the Orange. Meanwhile, after a loss against Virginia Tech, Syracuse returned to winning ways with a convincing win over BC and look poised to pick up another victory over GT.

Here’s what you need to know about Georgia Tech (11-15, 4-11 ACC) as Syracuse (14-12, 8-7 ACC) looks to make it five straight in the Dome:

All-time series

The series is tied at 7-7.

Last time they played

The two teams last tipped off in Georgia last February, where Georgia Tech cruised to an 84-77 win led by a 23-10 scoring run in the second half. Moses Wright dominated Syracuse in the paint and put up a 31-point, 16-rebound double-double to secure the victory.

Alan Griffin kept SU in the game for much of the first half with 20 points but scored just six in the second half as the Orange faded down the stretch. Jesse Edwards also grabbed a then career-best eight rebounds as the center began to play more minutes near the end of the season.

KenPom odds

KenPom gives Syracuse 84% chance of winning with a projected score of 79-68.

The Georgia Tech report

This year’s version of Georgia Tech basketball is nowhere near the same as the one that won the ACC championship last year. It lost both of its best players in Wright and Jose Alvarado. Georgia Tech opened this season with a loss to Miami (OH), which has foreshadowed the rest of its season. The Yellow Jackets lost four straight in December, six-of-nine in January and three straight in February. They enter Monday’s game after a close win in Pittsburgh.

How Syracuse beats Georgia Tech

If the Orange can replicate the game they just played against Boston College, this should be an easy victory. Syracuse held Boston College to a season-low 56 points allowed by SU, showing a potentially improved defense heading into the home stretch. Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard III excelled in particular, as the pair combined for eight steals. Bourama Sidibe also provided an impact off the bench by logging a season-high 18 minutes. 

On offense, Syracuse made 10 3-pointers, again. It’s been the key to its recent stretch of wins. Girard and Cole Swider were particularly effective, with the duo both shooting 50% or better from deep.

Player to watch: Michael Devoe, guard, No. 0

Michael Devoe is taking over the team after Alvarado’s departure. The transition really culminated in last year’s ACC Tournament where Devoe was named the tournament’s most outstanding player. He scored a quarter of GT’s points in its 80-75 victory over Florida State to seal the championship. Heading into this season, Devoe was named to the preseason All-ACC second team and so far leads the team with 18.7 points per game and 82 assists.

Stat to know: 38.2%

Syracuse is up to 13th in 3-point shooting percentage at 38.2%, per KenPom. That is second-best in the ACC behind Virginia Tech. It’s an improving mark that’s been bolstered by a recent stretch of six straight games where the Orange have made at least 10 3-pointers. Coincidentally, Syracuse is 5-1 in that spell, only losing to the Hokies. Georgia Tech’s 3-point defense is probably the best part of its defense, but it is still ranked 62nd on KenPom. With the way the Orange are shooting, that shouldn’t be a tall order on Monday.